"Bubby" & "Pooky"

"Bubby" & "Pooky"
Yes, we are that happy to be together again.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Entering the Summer of My Life

I have developed this rather inconvenient habit this semester......I sleep on the couch almost every night. I live with five roommates and I share a room with one of them. My love and appreciation for Parker, my roommate, is not what is in question, rather it is my lack of ability to find peace in my bedroom. From the beginning of the semester, whenever I lay down to go to sleep, my mind goes into overload with stress about life. "Are you caught up on your research thesis, you are still not married, have you finished your graduate school applications, why aren't you sleeping yet, ....etc....etc...etc." It became such a problem that I would stay up past three in the morning so I would become so exhausted I would pass out on the couch.....and the stress didn't follow out of my room onto my "de facto" bed "a la" couch.

Last night I tried out my bed again, and guess what.....YEP I stressed out of my mind till I passed out of exhaustion. When I got up this morning I started analyze what it was that was making me so stressed. Am I so far behind that every night I push myself to an ulcer to make sure I am in place? My musings led me to Great Harvest Bread where I was buying a batch of cinnamon rolls for the economics lab. Smelling the fresh baking bread, and the casual ambience of the store put me into a lull. Is my life so hard? Does it matter how ahead or behind I am? When was the last time you stopped to enjoy life, to live instead of simply existing and achieving....

Listening to "American Honey" , part of my new country kick back I am in right now, it spoke of nothing being sweeter in summertime than American Honey. The corny lyrics made me laugh, but the images of summertime in Montana brought tears to my eyes. I could feel the warm sun, so much closer at 7,000 ft elevation, licking my skin into a deep tan. I could smell the fresh cut hay, hear the rippling of the creeks throughout my ranch, and feel the shade of the pine trees as I hiked up in the mountains. I remembered the cold of Flathead Lake as I would jump into it and swim for hours, only to retreat to a dock and drink cold "Tea de Rey." Tears combined with smiles as I remembered camping this last summer with my family up by Lake Koocanusa, the first camping trip the men in our family have ever taken together. My life is so good,....and it has barely began. It is folly to view ones life in the comparison with past achievements. I am no longer the national champion in speech and the over achieving extracurricular student. Nor am I the party king who wasted his life on fast times and memories, and yet again I am not the super obedient missionary who dedicated my life God. I am simply Gage....and that encompasses all the past and all the future, whatever it may be. I am entering the summer of my life. I will attend law school this fall, and I have no idea which law school it will be, and later I will have a job and start my career. But the simple mechanics of living are less important than the moments we spend in life with others and the memories, memories like those that brought me so much joy today.

We focus so much as the accomplishment of a task we forget the joy the journey. In our need to be efficient, in a society that values what you can produce more than what have contributed, we are continually incentivized to forget the moments in the middle, and instead push through for the end result only to be once again thrown into another task. When was the last time we made goals for ourselves, and lived the moments in between those goals. When do we live our lives, and perform our jobs not at the ends themselves, but merely an means to an end, the end being achieving the ability to have free time to love life and share it with those we love. I was struck by a close friend recently who was listening to me talk about my abuelita and Nicaragua. She asked me if I had ever visited, and I let her know that I had not....and right there she made me promise to set a date to visit my family's ancestral home. The date is set, the summer when I graduate law school I will leave for Nicaragua and give myself the opportunity to see where the essence of who I am came from.

Let us enjoy all the seasons of our life. I have past the spring and am in the bloom of life, the summer where I will shine as brightly as I can, and I will enjoy the loves of life, and will burn in the heat of passion, the sun of our lives. I will work tirelessly, but not for the right to say I am successful, but rather to experience the joys this world has to offer. And as my life enters the twilight of Fall, and fades into the winter of my life as I await rebirth into another life, a better world, I will remember the lessons of summer, that life is meant to be lived in all seasons...and not merely endured.

Here's to sleeping in my bed again!

No comments:

Post a Comment