"Bubby" & "Pooky"

"Bubby" & "Pooky"
Yes, we are that happy to be together again.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Quintessential Relationship

I have a habit of writing about people who have inspired me through the actions of their lives. Call them my peer role models, I hold these individuals in high regard. In the past I have written about numerous individuals.....Danny Garner, Cece Elam, Matthew Hackbart, and Angela Riley to name a few. Tonight I am going to not write about a single person, because in fact they soon will be a married couple, and instead write about two individuals who have lived one of the most virtuous relationships I have seen.
I remember when I first met Austin. He was a brand new missionary and he was walking in Taylorsville with his trainer. I was a Spanish Zone Leader, and there was a slight prejudice between the spanish and english programs in our mission....and so I was a little disinclined to give him and his trainer a ride in the car I had been assigned. However, I remember my first days as a missionary and having to ride a bike, and so I stopped and picked them up. I remember looking back in the mirror and asking him his name and just looking at his super sad eyes.......I felt bad for him. I didn't have much to do with Austin till he was about to be made a Zone Leader. Later as we both served in a Zone Leader compacity, I was impressed with his warm nature and naturally charismatic. Later it was my pleasure to serve him as an assistant. I did not know of a more charitable loving leader in our mission than Austin. Although he led in a much different manner than I did, I was continually impressed with Austin's ability to lead through love and humor. He was one of the best Zone Leaders in our mission.
I never would have guessed that I would live with Austin....we were not close, and so when he and Andrew Bayba both came and lived in my apartment, it was a surprise. I am not an overly friendly person, and so we did not become immediately close. It would actually take his other half to bring about a more kind nature from me.
Kenzie was one of the first girls that came over to our apartment that semester, and she was Austin's girlfriend. Honestly, I was at first surprised that Austin had such a beautiful and kind girlfriend. I later regretted those feelings upon realizing his own depth of personality, which he keeps quietly hidden beneath waves of calm. In fact , it is Kenzie who is lucky to have found a man of his caliber.
Kenzie lives life in a vivacious manner, where she is constantly bring joy to those around her. Never do I hear a negative remark leave her lips, and she takes the worst of attitudes with a smile and optimistic attitude.
The caliber of these two individuals when they are seperate is considerable, but it is the synergy they exhibit as they love each other and serve each other that is truly inspiring. From Austin quiet defense of Kenzie, to his standing ovations and frequent praise at all of her performances in dance, to Kenzie's gentle defense of Austin and the way she looks at him whenever she comes over. They have both lived a relationship that I have never had the opportunity of seeing. It is physical to the perfect point, the point where it resides without crossing over to a point of extreme. I have never worried about their virtue, and likely this is aided by the way they speak to each other in quiet respect. Despite the gentle quips about needing to work out, they respect each other's bodies and personalities. Kenzie pushes Austin to his dreams and he is her biggest advocate. He defends her like a southern gentleman and she responds by acting the part of the quintessential belle. Truly this is a relationship we at times would call corny and claim only exists in a movie or book, but is witnessed in everyday life through acts of service.
The quintessential relationship is this relationship of service that I have seen displayed on both their parts. I have no doubt they will maintain a long and loving relationship even after they are married in a little over a month. This is because they work at their relationship and serve each other every day. I am inspired to the point that I have promised to treat my future wife in a manner that reflects how Austin treats Kenzie. This service was something I would have never suspected, but it was because like so often, I judge too quickly the exterior cover.
Austin loves sports, I would prefer to read a book. Austin likes bright clothes, I rarely wear anything but brown, white, or black. We just are not overly similiar, or so I held until this semester. I have watched as drama after drama has been elicited in our apartment, and it is not my cold demeanor, but the gentle peaceful nature of Austin that resolves the situations. I have watched his intelligence while we stayed up till 2 playing business games, and realized that his natural abilities in decision making are second to almost none. His sharp take is more often formed to kind words of inspiration than to harsh criticism. Austin is not a boy, or even a young man trying to find out who he is, rather he is a man fully accepting what he is and what he wants to become. I think this is because Austin has learned sacrifice, and through that sacrifice that he has experienced throughout his life, he has learned about fighting for what is important and letting the rest pass you by. Like a tree, Austin weathers a storm and sways with the moods of others, but always provides shelter during a storm. I will miss him terribly when he is married away, but wil continue to draw strength from the quintessential relationship he has formed with his wonderful wife, Kenzie......or should I say MAC...kenzie :)

2 comments:

  1. Gage,
    I am being completely honest when I say that no one has ever said something so nice about me. This honestly means so much to me! Thank you so much! Blog post to follow... stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Austin and Kenzie.... in fact, I think yall should make me a shirt that says that so I can wear it on my flight to your wedding. And don't think I won't come over.. Aust... I will call you first, cuz heaven forbid I can't call Kenzie, she never answers her phone for me! I just have to knock on her door.. haha, but you two are the best example of what love should be. You are the ideal example of respect Austin. You give it, you have it, you earned it from me, I love and adore the both of you, you have made such a difference in my life as well. I hope that I can find a woman as half as good as Kenzie and that I can treat her half as well as Austin treats Kenzie. You two are seriously perfect, and I love you for that!

    ReplyDelete