"Bubby" & "Pooky"

"Bubby" & "Pooky"
Yes, we are that happy to be together again.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Rule #1, The ears/mouth ratio

I was always taught that I had one mouth, and two ears, and I was to use them in the same proportion. Listen ALWAYS twice as much as I talk, and that includes giving my opinion.
I have always felt that I gave pretty good advice. I can be fairly unbiased when I give opinions and I try to always stay objective.....and I fail all the time. More recently I have started offering advice that was unwanted, not in any effort to control, but to protect and aide...and I overstepped my bounds.
If there is any one thing I LOVE to watch its drama, and if there is anything I hate to be part of....well that's drama as well. Specifically the type of drama involving teenage girls. Without naming names I have found myself woven into the intracacies of drama and intrigue. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE INTRIGUE, I love politics for that reason. However, I don't like intrigue when people I love have the potential of being hurt.
You never learn to NOT touch the stove till you have been burned. I have been burned by opening my mouth too much too many times...and I still make the mistake. Here's to a new resolution.....I'll listen not only twice as much, but 10 times as much and my advice will only came after constant pressing for it.

1 comment:

  1. Gage, your advice is always welcome to me. I have the deepest respect and appreciation for the things you think and feel, and I will never turn down your respectful advice. I may not always seem like I am following it, or that I am interested in it, but I take it to heart, and sometimes in the end (most of the time) you are right, and your vast well of knowledge and experience supers cedes my limited knowledge and ability, and I just trust your brains and my guts and things work out. Don't stop talking, or teaching, or sharing, or loving. They are your most admirable qualities, and the rare time that it can hurt someone is worth the risk for the many times you help

    ReplyDelete